[ SHOWGSD-L ] Re: My Thoughts: Re: interesting

  • From: MarcatoGSD@xxxxxxx
  • To: showgsd-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 20 Dec 2006 14:07:25 EST

Part of the problem, is things mentioned earlier...the "Hands on" aspect of
conformation doesn't feel very "hands on" at all to a lot of new people.  It's
"Hands off!  He's just been groomed!" "Hands off!  You're supposed to be over
there hiding/doubling!"  "Hands off!  I need him to watch me!"
People want hands on, and they want to feel a bond with their dog.  Agility,
rally, schutzhund, obedience...these are owner handler sports, where you do
all the work and bond with your dog.  It's you and him, instead of somebody
else
running laps around a ring, raising their hand telling you to double louder.

People are also scared off by others ignoring the rules...they don't like it.
 I was at a show recently where the judge had posted quite clearly on the
entrance post to the ring "NO DOUBLING!" and people were doubling anyway.  I
was
standing near the back, watching, and somebody asked me what they were doing.
I told them, and then they pointed to the sign and said "Doesn't that say
they shouldn't do that?"  I nodded and said "Yes."  They frowned and went off
watch a different breed.

As for dog shows being a family event...they're not anymore.  Kids find them
boring and mentally unstimulating.  Their take on it is that they're just a
bunch of over fluffed dogs running around in a circle....big deal.  They can do
that with their own dog at home, not have to spend any money, and not worry
about their dog being deemed "just a pet"...the phrase that almost sounds like
huge cuss word when a few people utter it.  Those "just a pet" dogs are what
bring more people into dog sports than anything.

Something else that doesn't help is the way dog shows are televised.
Eukanuba and Westminster, the biggest shows we know of and that the "common
folk"
know about....are only aired on cable.  It may come as a surprise to a few, but
there are still a LOT of people that don't have cable!!  My family doesn't...we
can't afford it.  If I'm lucky, I can catch some of those shows at a friend's
house, or the BF's if he's home.

The only dog show I've seen televised on "regular" TV, is the Thanksgiving
Day National Dog Show...and the commentators stink and the show is so condensed
you don't learn anything and you don't really get to see the dogs you like.
That's no good.

Dressing up...as stupid as it sounds...is something most young kids don't
like doing.  It's uncomfortable, it's itchy, and often times, they aren't
allowed
to eat while they're looking good for fear they'll spill something on their
outfit (and they usually do).  They want to wear jeans and a t-shirt.  Heck...I
hate dressing up myself, and I refuse to wear a skirt unless I absolutely
have to.  I like pant suits.  People can go to a Euro style show and if they're
well known, they wear team windsuits...other people show in jeans and a
t-shirt.  Seems a lot more down to earth and less stuffy.  A lot less work
too...not
only do you have to groom your dog and get them looking your best...then you
have to do it to yourself too!

I'm not saying one should look disheveled, but you go to a Euro show, or a
performance event, and there's no putting up of your hair, putting on makeup,
wearing a blouse or fancy suit...you put on some khakis, tennis shoes, and a
decent t-shirt/sweatshirt, and there you go, you're showing.  Simple.

People put lots of time into other hobbies because they're in charge.  The
kids who show horses...are riding their own horses.  The people who fish are
holding their own pole.  The people who hunt carry their own rifles.  The
people
who hike carry their own gear.

People want to show their own dogs, not send it out.  I could never send out
one of my dogs with a handler...it's my dog.  I've said it before, I'll say it
again.  I own it, I love it, I feed it, I train it, I groom it, I walk
it...it's my dog, I want to show it.

And others feel the same.

 - Jackie

In a message dated 12/20/2006 8:15:02 AM Central Standard Time,
almanya@xxxxxxxxxxxxx writes:
I can't put my finger on why people will spend the money on other hobbies,
but not showing dogs ??