[ SHOWGSD-L ] Re: My Thoughts: Re: interesting

  • From: "Terra Fairburn" <terraf@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <chsweetsun@xxxxxxx>, <jkerner@xxxxxxxxx>, <caggra@xxxxxxx>, <showgsd-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 20 Dec 2006 08:11:22 -0600

You make some very good points on how clubs can help support major entries
in dropping costs.  All breed shows really need to look at their costs of
entries too.  In doing this maybe judges will lower their costs too.  We
have been real fortunate to have some specialty judges give our club some
excellent prices on judging which allows our club to survive.

Terra Fairburn
Keggi Fair German Shepherds
Terraf@xxxxxxxxxxxx
www.keggifair.com

From: jkerner@xxxxxxxxx

Could we think about some other factors for a moment also?
As Jeff indicates rightly, oft times handlers and their clients help to
build
entries to make a major.....and they do so unselfishly, knowing that they
may
not be awarded the points at a given show.

So also, some folks decide to pull their entry when they discover which
other
dogs are entered
at a show.  Not often, but sometimes.

Additionally, if a handler chooses not to go to a specific series of shows,
it
means that most of his clients will not go either.  This diminishes the
numbers
of entries because:

Where a handler goes, his string of clients usually go.

Sometimes, but not very often, a client may choose to hire another handler
and
go to the shows anyway.

(Provided the other handlers have not already booked their own steady
clients or
have the classes filled because they have built the entry to make the major.
handler is not usually willing to take another handler's client/dog instead
of
his own client's dog if the choice has to be made.)

 And sometimes the handler has his own breeding program to
advance...............
so he/she is currently campaigning  his/her own dogs or those dogs in which
he
has an invested interest.

And almost everyone involved, because of expense and other numerous reasons,
do
not enter shows randomly.

Clients usually enter because they believe they have a reasonable
opportunity to
win the points.
Otherwise, they sometimes think, why go if not to win the points. It is too
expensive to just "give the dog ring experience" most of the time.

There are other reasons, of course, why entries  are low.

What do you suppose these other reasons might be?

Jane Kerner