[ SHOWGSD-L ] Re: Health questions/ this List

  • From: "Nancy Harper Mulvaney " <nancy@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <marhaven@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, <scenecrest.geo@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 9 Nov 2013 14:29:47 -0500

Back in the seventies and eighties in the mid-west we saw entire litters with
down pasterns, actually sub-luxed.
With investigation and record keeping from Scootie Sherlock and U of MO vet
school a few
Theories emerged - not scientific in the true sense of the word but certainly
food for thought.

1) Heredity CAN be a factor.  We consistently witnessed pastern problems from
intense line breeding of sire and dam to each other.
2) Puppies fed very high concentrations of protein - they grew very fast, the
system could not absorb the amounts
3) Injury - we had a dam jump into the whelping box and land on the foot of a
puppy resulting in a twisted pastern - only one foot
4) Surface on which puppies are kept - usually one has more than a single puppy
showing a problem

Nancy Harper

  Date: Friday, November 8, 2013, 3:53 PM

  Pasterns.
 But I am wondering about this strange thing that some GSD  pups
 go through with pasterns.   Does this happen
 to OTHER BREEDS?
 Is this a GSD problem only because of angulated
 pasterns?
 IS it dietary in the opinion of breeders...as UCD suggested  to  Ed when the
tests showed nothing else?
 IS it genetic?
 WHY in a litter of normal pasterns does one go  down..especially  from a bitch
that never produced them before in 3 other  litters.

 This List is usually GREAT about sharing about health  issues.