[ SHOWGSD-L ] Re: Health questions/ this List

  • From: Pinehillgsds@xxxxxxx
  • To: marhaven@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx, Foxhavengsd@xxxxxxx, magic4sure@xxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 8 Nov 2013 18:27:27 -0500 (EST)

I think it's hereditary.  Years ago (almost 10) I had  2 puppies who would
later turn out to be Solo's 1/2 brothers, older, out at  a show and Annie
Brogden, there's a name from the past huh???? anyway...Annie  had bred the
dam's mother so the puppies' grandmother, said "yes, those are from  my lines",
referring to the pastern issue.  I had taken them off puppy  food, had them
on low protein, and yes, they came up.

Some don't.

So, yes hereditary.  More of an issue w/ big males.  I went in  another
direction and haven't had it since.

Now...I have a 4 month old bitch puppy, not my breeding so a bit unfamiliar
 w/ how they grow.  Noticed some of her siblings started to go down (FB
videos) and YANKED her off puppy food at about 10 weeks.  She's fine.

I usually take mine off puppy food at about 4 months.  FWIW

Kathy, member GSDCA, DVGSDC
Celebrating generations  of Dual Titled TC'd Champions
visit http://www.pinehillgsds.com/

In a message dated 11/8/2013 3:53:49 P.M. Eastern Standard Time,
marhaven@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx writes:

I don't  have time for facebook or other Lists...so I have
a question for THIS List  while the volume is low.   <G>
Pasterns.
Ed Hill posted  about a pup he had with one bad pastern.
For the first time in many many  years we have a pup with ONE
pastern a tad lower than the other..similar to  Ed's pup I guess.
Ed...you never said what Dietary changes the Vets at UCD
advised you to use....and why.  Hope you are willing to share?
But  I am wondering about this strange thing that some GSD pups
go through with  pasterns.   Does this happen to OTHER BREEDS?
Is this a GSD  problem only because of angulated pasterns?
IS it dietary in  the opinion of breeders...as UCD suggested to
Ed when the tests showed  nothing else?
IS it genetic?
WHY in a litter of normal pasterns  does one go down..especially
from a bitch that never produced them before  in 3 other litters.

This List is usually GREAT about sharing about  health issues.

Carolyn   marhaven@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx
www.marhaven.com

-----Original  Message-----
From: showgsdOn Behalf Of Denise Fox

Ditto

Denise Fox

Rita Sandell <magic4sure@xxxxxxxxx>  wrote:
Hi Everyone, Hope we all return to the list soon.  I  enjoy.

Rita  Sandell

POST  is Copyrighted 2012.  All material remains the property of the

expressed in any post.