[ SHOWGSD-L ] Re: Furminator

  • From: Santanagsd1954@xxxxxx
  • To: Danannkennel@xxxxxxx, noelwebb@xxxxxxxxxxxxx, showgsd-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 12 Dec 2004 20:22:56 EST

In a message dated 12/12/04 4:39:40 PM Pacific Standard Time,
In a message dated 12/12/2004 6:32:17 PM Central Standard Time,
noelwebb@xxxxxxxxxxxxx writes:
Ok... so what is the difference between this new tool and an old fashion
undercoat rake?  (besides $30 some dollars)  My undercoat rake is 4" wide so
I can
get a large area done rather quickly.  The Furminator is only 1.7" wide.
How long does it take to groom a dog?  (German Shepherd)
I just have an inquiring mind this evening.
++++++++++++++++++
my furminator is 4 inches also.  It is not a rake.  it is 1/2 of a 40 blade
for clipping.  In a great easy on the hands holder.  It strips out only the
undercoat.  What most people call carding a coat.  Time wise depends on the
condition of the coat and how far down you want to go.  It is wonderful to
get out
the ugly gray undercoat  that tuffs thru when they are blowing.  Will be
super
when everyone starts to blow in the spring.  My 3 house dogs have gone from
lumpy sheep to looking great in just a couple of days. Since they are old I
do
not make them hold still for any length of time.
Sally
The House of Nasdaq ROM
Ch's Seiko, Adam & Ex

 Sally and All:

  Just a thought!!!!!!!!   Sally is a Professional Groomer and I worked at
that trade myself for many  years..  I just want to add ,  that any grooming
Device or Tool, in the hands of a Pro trained to use them properly is one
thing,
but sometimes tools can do a lot of damage to the skin when not used properly
and then  that damage  can escalate into infections...

Please do not just get a  new tool and start  raking  away at the dog..First
carefully examine the skin to be sure the dog doesn't have irritated or
inflamed areas,or even possible  skin growths,  and then .examine the teeth of
the
tool you are using to see if it is rounded or pointed or even sometimes ,
sharp..

 I have seen lots of damage over the years,  done to a dogs skin ,using  a
sharp type of  grooming tool ,over the years, by eager owners, unfamiliar with
grooming using such aids. .. Just a thought to keep in mind... JMO Barb
williams