[ SHOWGSD-L ] Furminator

  • From: Karmasreva@xxxxxxx
  • To: showgsd-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 19 Apr 2006 11:13:08 EDT

A new groomer came to work at my shop. She pulled  out a gadget she called a
Furminator. I was interested in seeing it since I had  heard so much about it.
She used it on a short haired dog...a Dalmation or a  Rottie. The hair flew.
Looking at it, it is a broken apart #10 clipper blade.  The inner blade is
removed and you run the edge over the dogs coat. It works in  much the same
manner as a Shedding Blade. Yes, it will take out under coat...and  topcoat.
Guard
hairs take a long time to grow back.

    As an alternative, I would suggest your Force  Dryer. At this point, I do
almost no brushing on my dogs. They are bathed  weekly, and then blown out.
Even if you don't have time to bathe your dog, the  force dryer is going to
remove more dirt, hair, and dead skin than any other  hand tool. I keep my
dryer
on the porch. When it is a muddy mess out side, the  dogs line up to be blown
out. It removes the wet, and most of the mud.

     Right now, the only thing I use a brush for,  (Universal slicker), is to
smooth out the topline, and to fluff up on show days.  Even then, I'm more
likely to use a wide toothed comb.

Kelly Malone
Karma German Shepherds/Cheviot Sheep