[ SHOWGSD-L ] Re: EPI

  • From: Jen Proud <proudk9@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "Scharo777@xxxxxxx" <Scharo777@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 29 Jul 2013 22:01:11 -0500

They are still looking for non-related affecteds as well as mature (7+ years)
who are thought to be genotypically normal -the known genetic clears (normal
cTLI numbers and truly believed to be clear through family history, breedings,
etc are what they really need. It's been a long problem to find these markers
(I believe 2 genes or maybe even 3? But the way statistics play, I think EPI is
controlled by 2 genes, and all must be in the mutant recessive state at both
alleles to become affected. Many of the older normal dogs turned out to be
carriers themselves,(and even some affected by TLI results) so the gene test
still isn't ready! ;'(   They have to look at each base pair and say in this
mutated form these pairs must look like a,a-b,b and the normals are going to be
A,A-B,B. all the affrcteds will say "xxxx" here n there, while the clears will
be whatever else- and with how many thousands and thousands of alleles in even
one chromosome, I can't imagine the excruciating time consuming work trying
just to locate these genes much less decode them!  I sent samples from both
healthy seniors and affected dogs I could get samples from; that was 5 years
ago and they still need more after all this time.
My plea to all the breeders, veterinary workers, showmen and pet owners, please
submit a sample so we can finally have a genetic screening tool to eradicate
(hopefully) producing EPI affected dogs!  I personally think EPI is one the
most expensive diseases to care for over the long haul, even more so for those
dogs who become affected at younger ages... One can buy their dog new hips for
less and the dog gets well... Not so with EPI:  either they get their enzymes
daily (which ain't cheap no matter where they come from) or else they starve to
death. And, as we all well know, even with the best of treatments, some dogs
just don't ever do well after their dx.  The worst thing is the late-onset
cases, those coming affected at 6&7 years old, often after producing many
puppies- all of them then carry the risk themselves, some of them surely in
breeding potential homes, if not already with progeny themselves.
To donate a sample from your dog (or anyone you can talk into a sample from
their GSD)  they take any age for affecteds, and 7 years & up for normals- the
older the better. Most vets will donate the moment of time it takes to draw
3ccs of blood and centrifuge for you to ship. Goes out Fed Ex- TAMU will give
donators their account number along with a cooler box and all the phials for
blood (I think it was 3 per dog-2 purple tops and a multi top), ice packs and
all the paperwork for a history on each dog submitted. They send it all out to
you for free, and they will even reimburse a vet bill if the vet is some kind
of jerk and won't help with research!  All it costs you is your time and a
little effort. They're still looking after all this time- finding other stuff
but not what their primary objective is!   As the owner of the dog submitted,
whether an affected or a normal, you will receive a cTLI number, plus colbalmin
and folates numbers. That part is free too.
Please please for the health of our breed, take a little time from your day and
participate in this study and get both the healthy seniors and the affecteds
blood samples donated. With every dog I send samples for whatever study where
they can use GSD samples, I'm onto it. It might be one of my dogs- or one of
yours- that unlocks the door to a real genetic test, and will change the lives
of many:  both the affected dogs and their families.
For the love of our breed-
Jen P & the Pack
JayDee's Proud-Haus Shepherds/ ProudK911
www.jaydeesphs.com
AKC Breeder of Merit
Home of the Total Dog you can be Proud of!!!