[ SHOWGSD-L ] Re: EPI

  • From: grnram415@xxxxxxx
  • To: pmick12@xxxxxxxxxxx, myjoygs@xxxxxxx, showgsd-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 30 May 2008 15:10:47 -0400

Having to deal with this for the last 5 years, I found some interesting side
effects and alternatives to Viokase and prescription meds.? Side effects
include, ear ulcerations, lethargy OR manic behavior.? Rapid tooth softening
and excessive wear is also common.
Alternatives are raw pancreas, if you can find it.? Also, adding lecithin can
help break down the fats.? A natural option is capsuled pancreas.? You must
break the capsule and mix it with the food.? This can be found at specialty
health food stores.? A good from Solaray, called Pancreas Caps.?

Treatment and alternatives depend on the TLI levels.? A dog with very low
levels will need to go on the Viokase or other meds until they are stable.?
Then you can use the options.? My girl was so low, they had to check it twice.?
The Viokase worked for awhile.? However, I have found that the natural remedies
are working as well, if not better, with fewer side effects.

Oh, she also gets a round of B12 injections once a year.?

Hope this helps and anyone who wants more info is welcome to email me privately.

Laura Thomas