[ SHOWGSD-L ] Re: Do dogs have memories?

  • From: sheila lieberman <dgshwpromo@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: cinosamgsd@xxxxxxxxx, murk@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx, Showgsd-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 11 Nov 2007 10:48:38 -0800 (PST)

From our second litter when I was a kid, we had to replace him in a second
home.  We visited twice, one year and then two years later.  He no only
remembered me, he remembered to pee on me both times.  The second time I wore
shorts.....
  sheila
Cinosam GSD <cinosamgsd@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
  The longest I've ever had a pup remember me was two years. I placed her at 8
weeks....saw her two years later. At first no recognition, but then I said "pup
pup" a few times and her ears went up and her tail started to wag.....whenever
that happens, I just find it amazing, because let's face it 8 weeks is not that
long to form a bond, but I guess that bond from birth is pretty important.

I've also never bought the notion that dogs don't understand time. Whether you
are gone 5 minutes or 8 hours, the dog doesn't know the difference. That's
bull. My house dog is waiting at the door for me every day when I get home, but
if I get home early, she's still upstairs sleeping in my bed.

Cindy
cinosamgsd.com
Maureen Murland wrote:

Barb,
Lordy, I'd have to say of course!!!!!!!! I have gone years between seeing
some of my pups that I placed. It generally takes a few seconds to see
GRANDMA IN THEIR EYES AND THEY COME RUNNING! I took my Jon to New Mexico for
the shows there (I got him from Jamie Walker), I had him about 6-9 months at
the time. He saw her at the shows, shook his head and had a FIT getting to
her. So yes, dogs have memories. Mo

>I was talking to someone yesterday who rescued a mixed breed dog found
> roaming the highway last year. He was in deplorable condition and he
> looked like he hadn't seen a decent meal in weeks. After searching for
> his owner without any luck, my friend opened her doors and heart to this
> lovely animal. He's a wonderful youngster with a great disposition,
> although he's suspicious of certain men. He absolutely hates the
> crate. He knows certain obedience commands. My friend always says to
> me, "I wonder what his life was like before." Obviously someone trained
> him. She says she definitely believes dogs have memories. How would
> you explain that dogs have REM sleep like us humans and it's often been
> thought that they are dreaming about chasing something. Well then
> wouldn't they have to have memories? Do you think it's possible for
> dogs once adopted to think about their past masters? I told my friend
> I'd put the question to the List. Best, Barbara

> POST is Copyrighted 2007. All material remains the property of the

> BE PROSECUTED.

> VISIT OUR WEBSITE - www.showgsd.org

Cindy
www.cinosamgsd.com