[ SHOWGSD-L ] Re: Do dogs have memories?

  • From: sheila lieberman <dgshwpromo@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: uwish@xxxxxxxxxx, Showgsd-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 11 Nov 2007 10:42:49 -0800 (PST)

Cuz and Dexter always remembered each other.  Say the name of the other dog and
you could see them remembering each other.  After about 5 years, I was able to
bring Dexter to visit Cuz, I was up in Maryland with all my dogs visiting.  I
was concerned that they would not remember each other so I made sure to have
some extra muscle with me when I brought them together.  This was at the end of
the  visit so I had brought the smells of the dogs back and forth to each other.

  I cried when they walked up to each other, touched noses and then both dog
moved past each other and peed.  If it had not been for Tess who was upset at
the visitor dog, I would have stayed longer with Dex.  He so loved Cuz.  Now,
with Cuz living so near and Dexter gone before Mom moved down, we don't say Dex
in front of Cuz.  Cuz has been to my house a few times and having not found
Dexter the first time, he knew.

  He also knows that he will see Dexter at the rainbow bridge, and I know it
will be sooner than I am ready for.

  Dogs remember, yes, but as I tell my clients, most of it is brain engrams,
physical memory, like when we walk and eat.  But our GSD's are different.  Our
dogs show signs of cognitive memory.  Some more than others.  Cuz remembers
Scott when he sees him, and he remembers who he does not like too.

  But other dogs, well, not so much memory as it is like our muscle memory.
  sheila
Barbara Galasso <uwish@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
  I was talking to someone yesterday who rescued a mixed breed dog found
roaming the highway last year. He was in deplorable condition and he
looked like he hadn't seen a decent meal in weeks. After searching for
his owner without any luck, my friend opened her doors and heart to this
lovely animal. He's a wonderful youngster with a great disposition,
although he's suspicious of certain men. He absolutely hates the
crate. He knows certain obedience commands. My friend always says to
me, "I wonder what his life was like before." Obviously someone trained
him. She says she definitely believes dogs have memories. How would
you explain that dogs have REM sleep like us humans and it's often been
thought that they are dreaming about chasing something. Well then
wouldn't they have to have memories? Do you think it's possible for
dogs once adopted to think about their past masters? I told my friend
I'd put the question to the List. Best, Barbara

http://mail.yahoo.com