[ SHOWGSD-L ] Re: Are we that important?

  • From: Susan Madlung <stormygsd@xxxxxxx>
  • To: InquestGSD@xxxxxxx, showgsd-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 30 Apr 2006 02:27:47 -0700

I agree, I also think we are that important to many of these dogs..
Years and years ago we sold a puppy locally to an elderly gentleman - the
dog was his life's blood, the man was the dog's. They lived alone and spent
every moment - awake or not - together. Riker guarded his domain with a
vengeance. They visited us here weekly - Riker played with the other dogs
during those vests, made a huge fuss over us as if he had come home every
time they came.

When Riker was about 5, his partner died suddenly and Riker became an
orphan. The gentleman's son called us and asked if Riker could come live
with us and of course we agreed. For a year he paced, fretted and barely
ate - he went from a dog of 100 lbs to 60 lbs - with absolutely no signs of
adjusting to the loss. We finally allowed him to join his soulmate at the
rainbow bridge and we have never regretted that decision.
Like Stormy Hope said, it depends and each situation needs to be assessed to
make the right decision for the dog.

Sue Madlung - Shadowacre Reg'd German Shepherds
AT LAST!!! SEE OUR 'NEW" GIRL! http://www.shadowacre.com/scorch.htm
UPDATED APRIL 28/06!!!