[ SHOWGSD-L ] Re: Are we that important?

  • From: Scharo777@xxxxxxx
  • To: ELG440@xxxxxxx, showgsd-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 29 Apr 2006 21:37:24 EDT

In a message dated 4/29/2006 7:19:07 P.M. Central Daylight Time,
ELG440@xxxxxxx writes:
It is a  strange thing that we sometimes think we are so  important to our
dogs that only we can properly care for them. I do consider  this a  form of
ego
gratification, and will continue to argue against   it.

On the other hand, when you do rescue, and take in unwanted dogs, you sleep
is haunted by the despair many shepherds suffer when they are left by their
owner and eventually realize the owner is never returned.  Eventually I  fond
loving homes for these dogs, but I think many still grieved.  One I  eventually
had to put down for when he realized he had been abandoned he wanted  no part
of me and became so hostile that he went after everyone who entered his  run.
 It took about 2 weeks for him to get this way.  But after tons  of effort,
he was remained totally unplaceable, even unkeepable.  He was  one of the very
last dogs I took as a voluntary surrender.  After 10 years  I could not longer
handle my severe emotion reactions.
Carol