[sac-forum] Call for Observations

  • From: "AJ Crayon" <acrayon@xxxxxxx>
  • To: "SAC Forum" <sac-forum@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 18 Apr 2012 15:27:49 -0700

It is that time again.  Time to prepare your observing lists for the upcoming
SAC NL.  To that end here are the next two months list of observations for your
viewing enjoyment.  Record your observations and impressions then send them in.
 I can never get to many observing reports.  So please test me.

For the second time we will do Ursa Major for two months in a row.  This is
doable because there lots of galaxies to be observed here.  But then you
already knew that.  So, let’s get started with NGC4051 a barred spiral that has
some interesting features.  Your job is to identify them.  Try the barred
spiral NGC4144, it to is elongated and has some interesting features about
which you should tell us.  This next one was left off the original list.  That
would be NGC4036.  It is bright, large and elongated.  Don’t confuse with
NGC4041 about 30’ to the north of northeast.  This one is being saved until a
later time..  Now give NGC4026 a try.  It is a nice size edge-on galaxy, but
you need to add more details with your observation.  It appears our next
galaxy, M109, hasn’t been done before but it could  not be verified.  So we’ll
do it again regardless.  It is, naturally, bright and large but we know there’s
more to it.  Moving to the western end of this month’s objects is late type
spiral NGC3631 whose nucleus you should check out very closely.  UGC 6446, an
even later spiral, is almost 13th mag so it will be a challenge for all but the
larger scopes.  Moving back to the east is an asterism named Ferrero 6 and is
located at R.A. 13 10.0 Dec +57 31.  It contains 16 stars from 8th to 12th mag
so don’t expect much but let us know what you see for stars and shape.  It was
found in Sue French’s column of , June 2008 Sky and Telescope.  I don’t know if
anyone has seen this one, neither have I.  I’ll try to change that, how about
you?  Finally, as a point of reference NGC4026 is on both the 110 Best NGC and
Herschel 400 lists.  Furthermore NGC4051, M109, NGC3631, NGC4036 are also on
the Herschel 400 list.

As we get into the summer months a quick trip through Hydra is a good call as
there’s much there to be seen.  The first one on the list is a long time
favorite of Steve Coe and myself.  It is V Hydrae and is located at  R.A. 10
51.6 Dec -21 15.  It is a variable star with a period of 533 days and its
magnitude varies from 6.5 to 12th mag.  What’s so famous about all this?  With
a B-V, or color index, of 5.5 it is the reddest star known.  Put this on your
list until you see it as a fire engine red and you will know what I mean.
Moseying on in increasing RA slew over to M68 a very nice but often over looked
globular cluster.  Quite a bit of detail can be seen with this gem.  Continuing
eastward find NGC4965 a barred spiral galaxy.  Check out the brighter middle
and elongation.  Now mosey over to NGC5042 another barred spiral but more
edge-on.  The 9th mag star preceding should help with its identification.  Now
try the rather bright rounding NGC5061 and its brighter middle.  Notice any
differences between this and the prior two galaxies?  You should because this
one is an elliptical.  Continuing our march eastward to the summer Milky Way,
find NGC5101 a bright but rather small galaxy.  NGC5135 is next, is bright and
small, but how would you characterize it in your telescope.  Entry 83 in the
Messier Catalogue, M83, follows.  This is a majestic  barred spiral that
deserves a good observation.  Spend some time putting yours together.  One more
piece of information – it is a fast supernova producer as 4 in the last 50
years have been found.  Getting away from the NGC momentarily, look for IC 4351
a spiral galaxy.  It is edge-on and large, but you should find other details
here.  The last on this list is the distant globular cluster NGC5694 that is
rich with extremely faint stars.

AJ Crayon
Phoenix, AZ