[sac-forum] Call for Observations

  • From: "AJ Crayon" <acrayon@xxxxxxx>
  • To: "SAC Forum" <sac-forum@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 5 Oct 2007 10:31:45 -0700

Here's the list for next two months - straight from the newsletter.  If you get
a chance to go out observing this weekend, or next for that matter, give these
a try, log your observations and submit for publication.  Just print this
message, stuff it in your astronomy gear so it  goes along with you.  It will
come in handy.

Clear skies, and no wind,
aj

For December Sculptor is our choice.  Star parties from desert vistas for the
remainder of the year will have good southern horizons making the selection a
good choice.  Let's see what is in the often overlooked are of the fall sky.
From a list of about 40 of the brighter objects, all but two are galaxies, so
we have enough for return visits.  For our first visit check out NGC7793 to
which the NGC Description says Like a comet (1850).  Since this is a late
spiral we should expect to see more than its elongation.  Next is the large,
scattered open cluster Blanco 1, also called the Zeta Sculptoris cluster,
located at R.A. 00h 04.3m Dec -29° 56'.  Low powers and wide field telescopes
will do a good job on this cluster that is about 90'.  Moving on we go to the
magnificent galaxy NGC 253.  This galaxy and the next object, the globular
cluster NGC 288 are on the Herschel 400 list.  Would you characterize it loose,
tight or in-between?  The Sculptor Dwarf will be a challenge object and will
need clear, steady and transparent skies.  It is located at R.A. 00h 59.9m Dec
-33° 43'.  Don't let its surface brightness of 17th magnitude scare you off.
Just pan around the area looking for a change in the background.  If you can
see any stars in this galaxy please, by all means, call me over.  Last will be
the barred spiral, and also a member of the Herschel 400, NGC 613.

There is much left to do in Cassiopeia, so let's not wait any longer for this
one as there are more than 60 objects well within reach of many SAC scopes.
First give M52 a try as it was skipped last time around.  Then just 40'
northwest is the asterism on the SAC list titled Airplane or Arrow and is
located at RA 23h 20.0m Dec +62° 20".  It is pretty large, so use low power,
and bright.  What does it look like to you?  Don't worry if it doesn't look
like either, let us know anyway.  Getting away from the NGC give the open
cluster Berkley 4 a try, it is reported to have 25 stars in 5'.  Do you agree?
The next 3 clusters are on the Herschel 400 list.  About 1° 30' northeast of g
Cassiopeia is NGC381, a compressed cluster.  The next cluster is NGC436, has
about 30 stars in a 5' area and is located 1° 48' southwest from d Cassiopeia.
Three degrees east and a little sound of Segin, e Cassiopeia, is NGC559.  Does
it seem pretty large to your eye?  Stock 2 has over 150 stars in a 60' area and
is north of the Double Cluster.  Enjoy these clusters; before you know it
spring and galaxies will be upon us.