[sac-forum] Help with RS232

  • From: "Richard Harshaw" <rharshaw2@xxxxxxx>
  • To: <sac-forum@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 6 Oct 2007 11:32:15 -0700

Hi, all!

I often use TheSky linked to my laptop with an RS-232 cable using the
laptop's serial port.

Last month, my laptop went to the great Mother Board in the Sky and I had to
get a new one.  The new ones don't have serial ports, just a zillion USB
ports.

I know that there is a way to convert an RS-232 serial port plug to USB, but
I don't know the part numbers or the steps in the process.  Does anyone here
have any experience with this problem, and if so, can you direct me to the
part numbers and a source so I can get the laptop and C-11 back on speaking
terms again?

Thanks in advance!

Dick Harshaw
Phoenix, AZ

"This is the most beautiful and satisfactory explanation of creation to
which I have ever listened."  -- Albert Einstein, on hearing Georges
Lemaitre expound on Lemaitre's formulation of the early "Big Bang" theory