[sac-forum] Call for Observations

  • From: "AJ Crayon" <acrayon@xxxxxxx>
  • To: "SAC Forum" <sac-forum@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 25 Jul 2009 08:50:31 -0700

Here's an update on where we are for observations.  Let's stay with the current
set as published in the last newsletter.  We will be a bit behind but that
shouldn't make a difference.  If you get a chance to observe, do so (need I say
more?).  So far I have observations from Rick Rotramel and Dan Gruber.

Finally, for your reading and observing enjoyment, is the content of last
newsletter.  Note the prior observations have a strike through.

So, with the above introduction here are the next two month's worth of
observations.  For June we begin with the E1 M105 in Leo then E7 NGC3384 aka
NGC3371 in Leo both in same field of view but ignore NGC3373.  For spirals
start with the Sa NGC4429 in Virgo then the Sb NGC2985 in Ursa Major and
finally the Sc M99 in Coma Berenices.  For July begin with the E1 M84 and E3
M86 both in Leo and in same field of view next is E4 M49 in Virgo.  For the
barred spirals begin with the SBa NGC3227 in Leo then SBb M95 in VirgoLeo and
SBc NGC4535 in Virgo.  Now which do you prefer, elliptical, spiral or barred
spiral galaxies?  Personally I prefer spiral or barred spirals.

There are a plethora of others, which also includes irregulars and dwarf along
with the many subdivisions.  For more study see
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Galaxy_morphological_classification that covers
lots more.  See also Luginbuhl and Skiff, Observing Handbook and Catalog of
Deep-Sky Objects; Kepple and Sanner, The Night Sky Observer's Guide and
Steinicke and Jakeil Galaxies and How to Observe Them.

There seems to be more time for another pass at Ophiuchus.  This time we will
concentrate on globular clusters of varying magnitudes and concentrations.
Starting out one of the brighter ones is NGC6235, you should be able to resolve
some of the 14th to 16th mag stars - count them!  Take extra care in locating
the next 3 because there are 3 others within 5°.  First of the 3 is NGC6293 and
is a little brighter than the first one but about twice as big.  Moving on to
NGC6304, towards the southeast, check to see if the brighter middle is
noticeable.  To the northeast is NGC6355 with its gradually brighter middle.
These 3 form an equilateral triangle about 3° on a side and are part of the
Herschel 400 list.  Moving on to a challenge is IC 1257 a small, faint globular
cluster.  It was identified as a distant globular cluster in 1996.  Perhaps
even more of a challenge is HP 1, which I also will call small and faint.  As
an aid to finding the globular its location is 17 31.1  -29 59.  The HP is for
Haute Provence, a French Observatory.  The final globular is located almost
between beta and gamma Ophiuchi.  It is NGC6426, another Herschel 400 entry.
Can you detect the elongation described in the NGC description?

AJ Crayon
Phoenix, AZ