[sac-forum] Re: Call for Observations

  • From: "AJ Crayon" <acrayon@xxxxxxx>
  • To: <sac-forum@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 23 Aug 2008 21:01:16 -0700

From the looks of weathe forecasters I don't believe this will be the case. May take another few days as she is taking her time. Wish it would have gone farther north as the folks in GA could really use some of that.

AJ Crayon
Phoenix, AZ

----- Original Message ----- From: <hofland@xxxxxxx>
To: <sac-forum@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Sent: Saturday, August 23, 2008 3:26 PM
Subject: [sac-forum] Re: Call for Observations

Here's hoping Fay gets out of here by the weekend....

Dave, Centre Alabama

Quoting AJ Crayon <acrayon@xxxxxxx>:

Here's the observing list for your viewing enjoyment.  I had hoped to have
something for November but that will have to wait.  I have no observations
for Sagittarius and only one set, from Dick Harshaw, for Cygnus.  So the
short story is YOUR observations are needed, so get out and observe! :))

Call for Observations

The September selection is Sagittarius, up for its third appearance. Most of the objectst will be from the Messier Catalog, but not all. We will keep with
some of the lesser-viewed globular clusters and save the more popular ones
for another time.  Our search begins with M 69 that has stars from 14th to
16th mag. What is smallest telescope that can see the well-resolved nature of this object? On July 22, 1995, just 15' west of southwest of where Comet Hale-Bopp was discovered is the next selection - M 70. Still within the body of the Tea Pot asterism is the very bright M 54. Now moving more towards the
east is M 55, the brightest globular cluster so far.  Continuing to the
northeast part of the constellation is the planetary nebula NGC6818, often
called the Little Gem Nebula.  Can you detect it's slight elongation of
22"X15"?  The last entry is nearby, NGC6822 also known as Barnard's Galaxy
and a Member of the Local Group of Galaxies. It has a surface brightness of mag 14.5 but is still viewable is telescopes smaller than 8". Look for the
bright HII region.

For October the observations will come from the Swan Cygnus and will start
with the cluster NGC6819 that has over 100 stars from 11th mag.  Should be
quite pretty. Next is a selection from Sky and Telescopes' Deep Sky Wonders
authored by Sue French.  It's an asterism called the Fairy Ring that is a
gathering of pretty faint stars, including some doubles and interesting
stellar colors.  It is located at R.A. 20h 04.1m Dec +38° 14' is round and
about 20'.  Let us know what colors you see.  Nearby is NGC6888 a 10th mag
nebula that should be large, pretty bright and elongated.  The next nearby
entry is an open cluster NGC7044. This Herschel 400 entry is large, rich and
faint with stars from 15th to 18th mag.  Moving 1.5° almost due south of
Gamma (g) Cygni is Berkeley 86 and its 30 stars from mag 9.5.  The last of
the Herschel 400 entries is NGC6910 in the Gamma (g) Cygni nebulosity. It is another open cluster with about 50 stars and should be easily found. Last is
M 39  This bright, large, loose cluster should be easily found.

AJ Crayon
Phoenix, AZ