[sac-forum] Call for Observations

  • From: AJ Crayon <acrayon@xxxxxxx>
  • To: sac-forum@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 13 Dec 2006 19:20:44 -0700

This is a busy time of the year, but if you have time check out these in Pisces
for the January newsletter.

Since we are using digital setting circles of some sort I'll no long give
directions from a bright star.  If we are setup correctly there shouldn't be
any problem pushing-to or going-to any of the objects.  Having said that let's
get to the constellation and its objects.  January will find us searching
around the large, but commonly over looked constellation of Pisces.  Version
7.5 of the SAC database lists about 400 entries, of which we will avoid the
ones fainter than mag 12.5.  This gives us a selection of something like 35
objects, mostly galaxies, from which to choose.  We will start with two 11.6
mag. ellipticals, namely NGC7562 and NGC57.  What kinds of detail do you seen
in these galaxies?  Next is the fainter barred NGC182.  It is the brightest in
a group of galaxies brighter than 14th mag.  How many do you see in the group?
Departing from galaxies is the asterism NGC305 to which Dr. Harold Corwin of
the NGC/IC Projects lists six stars, but no cluster.  What is its size and
stellar magnitudes?  Going back to galaxies take a look at NGC488.  It has a
ring and eight faint stars.  Where are the stars?  Are any spiral patterns
seen?  Next is the M82 type NGC520, a peculiar galaxy.  What's so peculiar
about its visual characteristics?  Finally there's M74.  Need I say more?  We
often see it low on the eastern horizon during a Messier Marathon but now we
have the chance to view it higher, much higher, in the sky. As with everything
in this list, try as much power as the evening will permit to ferret out as
much detail as possible.

Clear skies,
aj