[sac-board] Re: SAC Handout for 2007

  • From: Paul Dickson <paul@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: sac-board@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 24 Nov 2006 10:41:11 -0700

On Fri, 24 Nov 2006 08:38:16 -0700, Peter Argenziano wrote:

> I'm not sure why you are concentrating on resolution and image size as
> design criteria. Seems arbitrarily constrictive as all graphical elements
> can be scaled.

But raster graphics can only be realistically scaled downward.

> Have a look at the brochure I put together:
>
> http://rotaryobs.org/rro/downloads/SAC_flyer.pdf
>
> It doesn't have the SAC logo or the map graphic, as I don't have those
> elements. But it has all fonts embedded and the final PDF is only 25 kb in
> size. Paul, I'm curious as to how you are creating your PDFs that they are
> so large.

All 3 of my viewer programs say that the two fonts are not embedded (the
output from two doesn't look good).  The third, acroread substitutes
"Adobe San MM" for both fonts and looks OK.

I use unicode characters in the text (en dash, left and right
double-quotes come to mind).  Fully embedding a font is about 250 KB in
the PDF.  Then I have 2 MB of images (PNG file sizes).  When I changed
one image from 700+ dpi to 450, the same size difference in the PNG file
was seen in the PDF.

I'm using Scribus to layout the pamphlet and create the PDF.

> I also noticed that the meeting calendar has two dates listed for June.

Meeting have been scheduled for (about) four weeks apart.