[sac-board] Re: SAC 2002 Budget and 2003 Recommendations

  • From: Paul Dickson <sac-treasurer@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: sac-board@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 7 Jun 2002 20:47:58 -0700

On Fri, 7 Jun 2002 00:23:14 -0700, Jack Jones wrote:

> New membership is the lifeblood of the club. From the phone calls I got in
> the last two years, these new members are coming mostly from serious
> prospects picking up those brochures at Mr. Telescope. That is where they
> call first and go to seek out Astronomy activity in Phoenix. They are in a
> prominent place alongside EVAC's brochures and the staff points them out
> whenever the question of an Astronomy Club comes up. I and others used to
> keep a stack of brochures down there and checked on them periodically.
> Nobody in the club knows now if they have run out or there are still a few
> old outdated brochures down there still. None or very few were handed out at
> the public star parties that I know of. A new brochure needs to be generated
> with current meeting dates and contacts and someone designated to monitor
> status. Curtailing events and raising dues will generate no new members and
> possibly lose the members we already have.

Pete Manly once told me a story, about the Air Force trying to figure out
how to make their aircraft survivable enough to bring back their crews
from combat. They first started making changes based on the aircraft that
had returned, but survivability rates remained the same.  Then someone
pointed out that they should be studying the aircraft that didn't make it
back...

We are doing great for those people who renew year in and year out.  But
what are we doing wrong for the 20% that do not renew each year?

For the most part SAC just does observing and lecture-meetings.  Yes, we
do have an ATM group, but they have no direction/goal right now.  I don't
mean this to be negative about what Thad's doing, just that the ATM group
supports individuals not give instructive classes.