[rollei_list] Re: the pleasures of Rolleiflex

  • From: Mark Rabiner <mark@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <rollei_list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 02 Aug 2009 15:20:44 -0400

> He was an excellent Cibachrome printer and lives nearby. He did all my
> Cibachrome work.  His Cibas were fantastic. Before that, he did color
> dye work. He switched to digital 10 years ago and swears by it. He
> prints color and maintains his work is better than before. I don't
> agree. His Cibas are just amazing. That said, I feel his digital prints
> are superb. He knows color. His digital work capitvates you just as his
> Cibas did. He works from negatives which he then scans and edits. He
> spent a lot of time in front of his computer learning to be as good a
> digital printer as he was with Cibachromes. His old darkroom is in my
> basement, alive, well, and working.

Cibachrome put color photography on the map amongst serious collectors and
galleries and museums before that it was garbage as you could watch them
fade right before your eyes.  A black and white print could go for a couple
of hundred bucks in the 70's, a color print $20. Then Ciba put us on the
map. With its god awful ultra gloss and totally unreal jacked up reds.
But was blown away but the computer darkroom hybrid LightJet processs which
came out around the late 90's.
But Inkjet has now supplanted that.
That's right. plain old Inkjet.
Pigment inks probably.
And archival rated paper.
Top quality work is now available to the masses.
That's what's selling for thousands on the gallery walls now.

Mark William Rabiner