[rollei_list] Re: the pleasures of Rolleiflex

  • From: Douglas Nygren <dnygr@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: rollei_list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 2 Aug 2009 15:02:11 -0400

Mark, I don't my prints would stand up well. I think it's the work of masterprinters that should be put on the table. I don't think either the film or the digital guys would want to sink or swim with my work.

I know someone who is at that level.

He was an excellent Cibachrome printer and lives nearby. He did all my Cibachrome work. His Cibas were fantastic. Before that, he did color dye work. He switched to digital 10 years ago and swears by it. He prints color and maintains his work is better than before. I don't agree. His Cibas are just amazing. That said, I feel his digital prints are superb. He knows color. His digital work capitvates you just as his Cibas did. He works from negatives which he then scans and edits. He spent a lot of time in front of his computer learning to be as good a digital printer as he was with Cibachromes. His old darkroom is in my basement, alive, well, and working.

When we lay their work before us, we will see some amazing work. I'd be happy if I could achieve that in either medium. He is able to capitvate the viewer with his work. Who cares which medium it is in? So what if I think his Cibas are better!!

We should all be so lucky to be able to lift our work to a venerable level no matter which medium we print in.

Doug