[rollei_list] Re: the pleasures of Rolleiflex

  • From: Robert Lilley <54moggie@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: rollei_list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 2 Aug 2009 15:04:48 -0400

I would agree. The reasons why I was drawn to this Rollei group was that it seemed to focus on the technical aspects of these cameras and photography in general. Thats all I expected and wanted. As for the pictures themselves, I feel the only true way to experience them is to be 'up close and personal' I am not going to understand the true luminance, resolution, color, blah, blah etc. of a print unless it is in front of me. I can't judge or begin to form an opinion on the digital vs. analog photo thing reading words or looking at representations of the real print on line. To me it is futile to try. We are locked into process here because of the 'on line' experience. As such, we tend to make process more important than picture. To me picture is much more important than process - I mean, how do I know - Mark's digital prints on hand made Casalanguida bat guano paper taken with a Cheltenham pin hole cell phone camera in the dead of night near Passaic, NJ on Bastille Day may just blow me away visually when seen in person.

Rob
On Aug 2, 2009, at 1:59 PM, Mark Rabiner wrote:

We just never know on these lists which people talk the talk and can't walk
the walk. Writing "film rules" or visa versa is a hollow statement as
photography is not a verbal media. Its a visual media. One needs some images to back it up. Uploads help like to a gallery or a website but that's just pixies on the screen; flickering. One needs to say "film rules" or visa
versa an have a stack of images in front of them sitting on the table.
You can say that in front of me and I'll put out my stack of 11x17 rag
prints I just got back from display in Manchester which I'll put on the table. And you can show me the superiority of darkroom over inkjet. Then
I'll who my prints.

Rabiner