[rollei_list] Re: cleaning old Rolleinars and filters

  • From: todd belcher <todd_belcher@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: rollei_list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 22 Jan 2006 19:48:03 -0800

Many of the Rollei TLR Planar 2.8 lenses from the 50s and early 60s have coatings that are 'soft'. By that I mean they are not soft coated, but many of them, after years of cleaning, are partially gone. This is in contrast to the Schneider lenses of the same vintage, which are still intact. I have noticed that Zeiss seems to have taken note of this and after about 1965 or so, the Zeiss coatings seems to have changed. The coatings to which I refer are the front outer element of the 2.8 Planar, which has a yellowish cast to it. After about 1965, the front element has a sort of purple cast. I have seen many Planars on the Rollei TLR where the coating is partially, if not totally gone and as such, when checking a Rollei with Planar of this vintage, I always look to see the condition of the coatings. I would hazard that around 25 percent of all Rollei 2.8 Planar TLR lenses, pre 1965, I have seen have some of the front element coating gone.

todd

On 22-Jan-06, at 6:28 PM, Marc James Small wrote:

I would be surprised if the coatings on the lenses on any mid or late
1950's Franke & Heidecke camera were less hard than are current coatings.
By that time, Zeiss, with twenty years of experience, certainly had the
technique down.

--- Rollei List