[rollei_list] Re: Which Rolleicord

  • From: "Richard Knoppow" <dickburk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <rollei_list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 30 Dec 2006 16:48:34 -0800

----- Original Message ----- From: "Eric Goldstein" <egoldste@xxxxxxxxx>
To: <rollei_list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Sent: Saturday, December 30, 2006 3:21 PM
Subject: [rollei_list] Re: Which Rolleicord

The likely explanation for this would either be a flipped lens element or as previously suggested, mismatched elements from different
lenses...

I bought my Belplasca (matched CZJ Tessars from the mid-50s) from the original owner. I got it for a good price because, he explained, the camera was never right again after he did an interior lens cleaning. Sure enough, when I sent the camera to Ken Ruth, he said that both
center elements were reversed. The camera is now a killer...

Eric Goldstein

The effect on the image from reversed center elements is not subtle! The elements are very nearly symmetrical so its hard to spot which side is which by looking at them but the image effect is very obvious. In the Rollei finder lens its easy to reverse them. Its useful to make a drawing as you disassemble the lens in order to keep track of which way the spacer is supposed to face. It may be a good idea to examine the surfaces of the center element with a loupe or to examine the edges to keep track of its orientation. Sometimes one edge is chamfered and the other isn't.

---
Richard Knoppow
Los Angeles, CA, USA
dickburk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx