[rollei_list] Re: Which Rolleicord

  • From: Jim Brick <jim@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: rollei_list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 26 Dec 2006 16:13:20 -0800

At 03:04 PM 12/26/2006 -0800, Richard Knoppow wrote:

I would count on having to have a CLA done even if the seller claims its been done already. There are lots of caveats to buying anything used, I won't repeat them other than lens condition is vital. "Cleaning marks" mean fine scratches and are to be avoided, the lenses are not replaceable, at least not economically. The quality of construction and design of the Rolleicord is equal to the Rolleiflex, the difference is mainly in the complexity.

Six months ago, I bought a 'brand new' SL66. It had set in its original packaging for 25 years. It required $300 of Harry Fleenor's time to put it in working order. All of the lubricant had dried up, the focus was so stiff it was nearly impossible to move. The lens mount was so stiff you could barely fully mount the 80mm lens (the one that came with it). Once mounted, it was nearly impossible to un-mount. And the shutter speeds needed adjusting. While inside, Harry also upgraded the flash circuit to be able to handle studio strobes.

Harry also said that there was no evidence that the camera had ever been used, and that the camera was indeed new, manufactured in 1981. It is a gorgeous SL66, but a mint, barely used camera, will require a CLA.

The SL66 that I use daily has never seen a repair technician in its life. It was manufactured in 1976 and sold, in Germany to a young man, in 1978. He took immaculate care of the camera, and used it frequently. I bought it from him last year and it works flawlessly. It is a perfect camera.

So... you never know until you get the camera as to whether it will need service or not. In my situation, I would have guessed that it should have been the other way around. The new camera working flawlessly and the old used camera needing service.

Jim