[rollei_list] Re: Which Rolleicord

  • From: "Richard Knoppow" <dickburk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <rollei_list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 26 Dec 2006 19:45:34 -0800

----- Original Message ----- From: "Jeffery Smith" <jls@xxxxxxxxxx>
To: <rollei_list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Sent: Tuesday, December 26, 2006 4:23 PM
Subject: [rollei_list] Re: Which Rolleicord

Four months ago, I bought a 'brand new' Rolleiflex 2.8F Aurum (yes, that gold plated one with the endangered animal skin covering). I haven't taken it out of its box yet (it was still in the corregated box that came from the factory). I'm going to wait until Harry finishes with my Rolleicord and Rollei 35 before I bog him down with a third camera. I'm praying that a selenium meter that hasn't seen light for several decades will still work.

I still cruise ebay for a good deal on an SL66.

Jeffery "Pimp My Ride" Smith
New Orleans, LA
http://www.400tx.com
http://400tx.blogspot.com/

Just being in the dark does no harm to a Selenium cell. What kills them is excessive heat or exposure to moisture. The cells are supposed to be sealed but sometimes the seals break down with age and moisture can get in. The usual symptom is that the meter becomes non-linear, that is, there is a progressive error increasing with light intensity. Bad cells frequently read low by about one stop for bright light _at the cell_. This is easy to check for meters which have two ranges with an overlap in between them. A good cell will give identical readings on both ranges within the scale error of the meter. A bad cell will give a significantly lower reading on the low range than the high range.

---
Richard Knoppow
Los Angeles, CA, USA
dickburk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx