[rollei_list] Re: WTB: SL66 thingies

  • From: "Richard Knoppow" <dickburk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <rollei_list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 22 May 2006 18:50:57 -0700

----- Original Message ----- From: "Don Williams" <dwilli10@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
To: <rollei_list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Sent: Monday, May 22, 2006 5:24 PM
Subject: [rollei_list] Re: WTB: SL66 thingies

I think LaSalles were discontinued the year I was born (or maybe
the year before). I understand that GM got rid of them because they
were cutting into Cadillac sales.
Lets see, LaSalle, Packard, Studebaker, Hudson, Kaiser/Frasier,
DeSoto, Nash, Oldsmobile, maybe a couple of others, all disappeared
during my lifetime.

Was the Cord in that group? The only thing I remember about the one
Cord I did see is that it had (either real or fake) exhaust headers
extending from the hood, and it had a classy cast aluminum fan.

Don Williams La Jolla, CA

I am not sure but think the Cord was discontinued earlier. The Cord, Auburn, and Duesenberg were all made by the Auburn Co, in Indianapolis. I believe Auburn was a victim of the depression. By memory the last cars were made in 1937, a little (but not much) before my time. In my never humble opinion the J Duesenberg was the most elegant car ever made.
Both Cord and Duesenberg had external exhaust headers on some models, I don't remember if the Auburn did. The famous "coffin nose" Cord was a front wheel drive car. Long ago, when these priceless antiques were available for perhaps a couple of thousand dollars, I managed to sit in a coffin nose Cord and maybe a couple of Auburns. Not sure but I don't think I ever got that close to a Duesie except at a museum.
---
Richard Knoppow
Los Angeles, CA, USA
dickburk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx