[rollei_list] Re: WTB: SL66 thingies

  • From: "Richard Knoppow" <dickburk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <rollei_list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 21 May 2006 21:12:05 -0700

----- Original Message ----- From: "Don Williams" <dwilli10@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
To: <rollei_list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Sent: Sunday, May 21, 2006 8:45 PM
Subject: [rollei_list] Re: WTB: SL66 thingies

At 07:01 PM 5/21/2006 -0700, you wrote:
Peter,

Yeah, you do 99.5 for say 11 air to glass surfaces and you
end up with a number that is not quite so large.

BTW, you should tell Eric that you drive a La Salle, not a
DeSoto!

Jerry

Jerry,

What lens design do you have in mind that has 11 air to glass surfaces?

Don Williams
La Jolla, CA

I can't answer for Jerry but there are plenty of zoom lenses that have this many. They would be impossible without effective anti-reflection coating.
I questioned Eric because I am curious about his source, not because I think he is wrong. I have simply never seen a statistic on rejection rates of lens coatings. The technology involved is very advanced now. Thin film deposition is used in the manufacture of electronic components and elsewhere. Multiple anti-reflection coating on camera lenses is fairly simple compared to some other applications of the same or similar technology.

---
Richard Knoppow
Los Angeles, CA, USA
dickburk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx