[rollei_list] Re: Sweet spot: f8/f11?

  • From: CarlosMFreaza <cmfreaza@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: rollei_list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 23 Oct 2011 09:37:37 -0300

2011/10/23 Marc James Small <marcsmall@xxxxxxxxxxx>:

> I would approach any camera magazine test of lens quality with a bit of
> caution.  Burt Keppler was a good commentator but, then, he was also a man
> of pronounced biases.

Yes, I agree, any lens test needs to be taken with caution, anyway
"Modern Photography" had a good optical bench to test lenses at the
time, those tests are valid for the specific lenses they tested of
course, however the test shows a very similar performance for Planar
and Xenotar 2.8/80 (between them) and 3.5/75 (between them) when
camera and lenses were new indicating the performances seemed to be
within the Rollei specs.

> The Carl Zeiss MTF data seems to set out that the 2.8/80 Planar used in the
> GX and FX cameras achieves its best performance from f/5.6.  I am not aware
> of similar scientific tests done on the earlier versions of this lens or on
> the Xenotar.  In my personal experience, both lenses as used in the 2.8F and
> earlier cameras peak from f/8 but, again, my own experience is hardly any
> more a scientific test than were the musings of Burt Keppler.

Yes Marc, my experience with the Xenotar 2.8/80 indicates that this
lens achieves the best performance from f/5.6 too, however there are
performance differences from f5.6 to f22 for every f/stop, at f22
performance decreases more significantly due to refraction issues.