[rollei_list] Re: Sweet spot: f8/f11?

  • From: "Richard Knoppow" <dickburk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <rollei_list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 26 Oct 2011 13:16:09 -0700

----- Original Message ----- From: "Edward Meyers" <aghalidebw@xxxxxxxxx>
To: <rollei_list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Sent: Wednesday, October 26, 2011 4:08 AM
Subject: [rollei_list] Re: Sweet spot: f8/f11?

In Modern Photography Magazine where I worked in the 1960s, amonst the many columnists I was given to edit was Norman Rothschild. He wrote and I edited a column on color photography. In it he mentioned the use of the Rolleikin for his Rolleiflex. He used it to photograph children in the 1930s or 40s. He especially liked to use the Rollei with the Rolleikin since the image was rendered in a vertical rather than a horizontal making it more
efficient for portraiture.

Ed Meyers

When I was in highschool I assisted one of my teachers who did "kidnapping" on the side. This was photographing newborn babies on speculation and then selling the resulting pictures to the parents. A racket indeed. We used Rolleicords with Rolleikins on them. The film was cheap and the vertical format and slightly long focal length for the format was about perfect. Its likely that the first Rolleikins were intended to allow the use of 35mm color film in the Rollei because it mostly was not available in roll film sizes. I think one reason for the plate adaptor was also for color film of the additive type which had a reseau of either colored inks or dyed starch grains held on the glass backing. At least one of these was used with the glass facing the lens requiring some sort of focus adjustment.

--
Richard Knoppow
Los Angeles