[rollei_list] Re: Sweet spot: f8/f11?

  • From: Jeff Kelley <jlkphoto@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: rollei_list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 24 Oct 2011 11:40:56 -0700

> However the character of the 80/2.8 Planar and the 135/4 Sonnar for
> the Tele are wonderful and while they may not be the best technically
> they are still great optics...
>

> Eric Goldstein

Eric,

I agree...I have always wondered why the typical published lens test is all
about the technical aspects, optics, charts and diagrams instead of what all
but the most anal photographers actually do with a lens - make photographs
and print images.

Comparing lens diagrams and MTF charts have their valid uses but I always
value someone's informed opinion more when his evaluation of a lens includes
something similar to what I might do with the lens - like making some 8x10
prints from images taken with the lens.

My memory ain't what it used to be but I can't recall ever rushing home with
a new lens so I can get some shots of a resolution chart to examine with 20x
loupe.

Jeff