[rollei_list] Re: Slide film is still alive

  • From: "Eric Goldstein" <egoldste@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: rollei_list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 23 Feb 2008 13:19:47 -0500

Jim/Austin -

From an engineer's POV you may well be right, but from that of the
practitioner/artists with which I work with, there is no contest. You
are not accounting for the receiving end of the exchange; projection
is a very non-critical display medium because commonly almost no one
is even at ortho viewing conditions when projecting; thus it is rather
non-critical relative to resolution. In contrast, a typically loupe
provides much higher effective mag.  Brightness is much more of a
factor on the "wow" end of the equation, and here there is no contest.
Contrast... the eye cannot distinguish between 4 stops and 6 stops, it
looks for the relative number of tones, and digital does just fine
here. And you did not speak to all the other production factors which
digital allows that make for a high-end presentation with real
impact...

I love film as much or more than the next guy, but even to most of the
most devout film-makers, digital post-production and projection is the
way to go. They'll shoot on negative, and then it is all digital from
there...

Eric Goldstein