[rollei_list] Re: Slide film is still alive

  • From: Jim Brick <jim@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: rollei_list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 23 Feb 2008 09:24:35 -0800

I believe Austin is correct. From my experience and from the simple
physics of it, transmitting light 'through' a large piece of film vs
projecting a bright LCD image, well, the film image wins every time.
The dynamic range / density range visible on the screen trumps the
projected LCD image. When we view 6x6 film vs digital projection
(workshop critique) it is at our local dealer (pro shop) so the
projector used is the best that they sell, a Canon that has a street
price of around $7000. They actually do not sell a lot of these but
when compared with the $1000-$2000 projectors, this projectors stands
wins handily. So I guess if one had unlimited funds, one might be able
to buy a digital projection set-up that might compete with 6x6 film
projection. But I still have my doubts. It's like looking at a
projected slide vs looking at a print. The transmitted image has a
huge dynamic range. The print doesn't. I can attest to this because I
print a lot of my 6x6 images - the same images that I have projected.

Jim