[rollei_list] Re: Slide film is still alive

  • From: "Austin Franklin" <austin.franklin@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <rollei_list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 23 Feb 2008 09:55:04 -0500

Hi Eric,

Your observations have me curious (and you're surprised, eh? ;-)  I'd like
to understand more about what you've seen.  Stereo not withstanding, since
I've never seen it.

If you have any info on high resolution projectors that are above 1400 x
1050 (the highest I could find on B&H, though I didn't ferret all that
hard...but it was $11k!), I'd like to know.  Clearly, a 6x6 slide has far
more resolution than that.  Certainly resolution isn't everything when it
comes to image quality, but at least in the resolution category, I don't
find any $10k and below projectors that even come close.

At least for the digital projectors I've designed (which was a decade ago),
they work nearly identical to a typical slide projector.  They go bulb ->
imager -> lense, with possibly condensers and mirrors as well.  IOW, the
only difference in the two is the slide is replaced by an LCD imager.  Do
you know if it is done any differently in the ones you've seen?  If their
architecture is as similar, as I expect, then if a digital projector is
brighter than a slide projector, it's because of a brighter light source.
The B&H $11k projector uses a 250W bulb, as does the Rollei 66 projector, so
any increase in brightness between these two is due to the imager/slide, but
would be at a density price (next paragraph).  Optically, the issues should
be identical, except for the difference in film/imager size.

The density range of the imagers I've seen is typically far less than that
of a slide, though there may be some high end ones I don't know about.  The
highest end one at B&H that I saw was 800:1, or a D of 2.9.  Slides are
typically much higher than that, 3.2 to 4.2 or even higher.

It would seem to reason, at least based on resolution and density range,
that dollar for dollar, MF slide projection is probably far better than MF
digital projection.

Out of curiosity, have you seen a Hasselblad projector in use?  I've got an
older Rollei one that is pretty decent, but from my experience, the
Hasselblad one is much better.

Regards,

Austin