[rollei_list] Re: Rolleikin?

  • From: "Richard Knoppow" <dickburk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <rollei_list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 16 Jan 2006 13:33:16 -0800

----- Original Message ----- From: "Peter J Nebergall" <iusar4s@xxxxxxxx>
To: <rollei_list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Sent: Monday, January 16, 2006 6:50 AM
Subject: [rollei_list] Re: Rolleikin?

I'm not really sure what I'm looking at. No serial #s visible. There
is the 35mm insert, that goes into the opening. It has a sprocket wheel
in it, and a lever at one end. There are 2 more masks, 1 mwral and 1 of
composition material. There is a 35mm roller device -- take up spool.
There is a conventional (seems) film knob (spring, not locking), and an
odd-looking metal device that looks like a big film-winding knob with a
metal rod sticling out. This last is threaded on the inside. Til I read
about this I can't say more.

PJN

The parts in a full Rolleikin kit are:
Insert for the film gate. This is the large square thing with a 35mm film gate and a sprocket wheel and lever on it.
Take up spool. This is the large spool like thing with the gear at one end. The lever on the film gate insert fits this gear.
A large knob like part with long lever. This goes in the right side of the supply side. The long lever with flat part fits in-between the two feeler rollers of a Rollei Automat. In a Rolleicord the lever just rests against the bottom roller.
A part for the other side of the supply cassette. This threads onto the bottom knob and is used for rewinding the film into the cassette. There are variations of this part for different models.
Three masks. One mask fits on top of the ground glass. One mask snaps onto the front of the hood to mask the sports finder. One mask, with rubber band surround, fits into the sun shade.

A complete kit for the Rolleiflex MX, Rolleicord, and some other models, includes a counter knob that replaces the upper film retaining knob. This part is necessary in order to use the Rolleikin because it is part of the film metering system. Rolleikin kits for some models, the 2.8E for instance, did not come with this counter knob because such a knob was installed on all cameras at the factory. If your camera does not have the counter knob and the kit does not have one the Rolleikin is useless. Rolleikin kits with the counter knob missing are frequent. I was lucky with my Rolleicord IV that the previous owner had installed the counter knob and then lost the rest of the Rolleikin. I found another Rolleikin kit, without the knob of course, pretty cheap.
Some versions of the Rolleikin, made for early models, have a replacement back. Later cameras have an adjustable pressure plate. Shifting this plate allows it to clear the metering lever on the insert and also adjusts the depth of the film channel to accommodate the thinner 35mm film.
I am pretty sure someone has the Rollei Accessory manual on line but I can't find it among my bookmarks.

---
Richard Knoppow
Los Angeles, CA, USA
dickburk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx