[rollei_list] Re: Rolleiflex SL 35 E

  • From: CarlosMFreaza <cmfreaza@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "rollei_list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <rollei_list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 5 Mar 2014 15:31:49 -0300

Marc:
         The Rollei electronic metal focal plane shutter was unique
for its symmetric design. Prochnow  does not mention Zeiss Ikon or
Voigtländer regarding the new Rollei electronic shutter, he only
mentions the engineers and designers from Rollei and those coming from
ZI/Voigtländer, working together for the K-62 project, to create a new
generation of Voigtländer and Rolleiflex electronic cameras to replace
the existent cameras. I wrote in my previous post under the subject
"Rollei electronic shutter and Rolleiflex SL 2000" the team members
names. They started to develop the new shutter after they knew about
the cubic camera with the lens at the camera body center in July 1974,
it required an _unique_ electronic metal shutter with symmetric
design, it means the  components to drive the shutter are on both
sides of the shutter.

Jan Böttcher in his Rollei Report pages shows drawings for this
shutter with patent numbers:
http://www.janboettcher.de/MuseumR3eng.html (from the middle of the page)
One of the main patents is this one:
https://docs.google.com/viewer?url=patentimages.storage.googleapis.com/pdfs/US4110773.pdf

Erwin Scholz from Brunswick, Germany, appears as  inventor and the
patent was asigned to Rollei Werke F&H. Erwin Scholz is one of the
Rollei engineers mentioned in my previous post as member of the team.
The patent is from August 29, 1978 USA and from July 22, 1976, in
Germany.  Erwin Scholz, Rollei Werke, 1974-1976-1978 are saying
something.

The Rollei Report 3, more than author's views or opinions, shows facts
about the Rolleiflex SL 2000. The page 44-850 has a photograph about
the basic design PR (Prochnow Register) 571/1, it's a perfect cube
with a basis to simulate a motor, the caption comments it's the first
1974 design from arquictecture studio Franzmann in Hamburg,
"Rolleiflex" is engraved in the body. The page 44-851 shows a
photograph with frontal and lateral view about the first 1976
prototype for the SL 2000, PR 571/2, this protoype is provided with
several details "Rolleiflex" and "SL 2000" is engraved in the body.
The page 44-852 shows a photograph about the 1977 prototype from Ernst
Moeckl, the camera body is engraved with "Rolleiflex" and "SL 2000 E".
The page 44-853 shows a photograph about the "Rolleiflex SL 2000F"
and the modular system parts, each page has explanations about the
camera development.
The Rolleiflex SL 2000 has nothing or almost nothing from
ZI/Voigtländer, most internal parts were from the SL35 E and SLX .
I also find very interesting to discuss these matters with you Marc.