[rollei_list] Rolleiflex SL 35 E

  • From: CarlosMFreaza <cmfreaza@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "rollei_list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <rollei_list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 26 Feb 2014 12:53:23 -0300

My Voigtländer VSL3 E , repaired two years ago in Braunschweig,
Germany, is working perfectly; I like to use it very much thanks to
its excellent ergonomics mainly.
The VSL3 E has a sibling, the Rolleiflex SL 35 E. I could not resist
an offer in our local eBay and bought a 'flex SL 35E. I received the
camera yesterday, it is in mint condition from any point of view. I
won't say it was never used, but it was used a few times.
It came with the original Rollei Werke F&H box,  the camera serial
number is written on it. It also came with the two original caps for
the Planar 1.8/50 HFT lens (pristine), camera body cap, camera strap,
camera case, eye cup piece, lens hood, UV filter, multilingual
instructions manual, a F&H brochure in Spanish about the camera and
even the original purchase invoice (it was bought in May 1981 at
"Photokina SRL", Buenos Aires city, Rollei representative at the
time).
The camera SN is 6492303,  made in Singapore during 1980.
VSL 3 E and SL35 E are identical except for three points:

1) The Sl 35E has multi-exposure capability for the same frame.
2) The SL35E camera back has a slot to insert the film label.
3) The SL35E top cover is metal made, the VSL3 E top cover is plastic
made. The prism form is different.

This is a current "review" about the SL 35E, I think it is too brief
to be considered a camera review, however it has some interesting
points. I don't know the article source to say the SL35E was designed
by Heinz Waaske, the Rollei 35 designer. I know he had a significant
participation to design  the Rollei SL 26 and the Rolleimatic, he also
designed a film magazine for the SL 2000 system, but I think he is not
mentioned by Prochnow regarding the SL 35E construction (I'm writing
from memory):
http://www.lomography.com/magazine/reviews/2013/11/29/the-wonderful-slr-a-rolleiflex-sl35e-review