[rollei_list] Re: Rolleiflex SL 35 E

  • From: Hauke Fath <hauke@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: rollei_list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 3 Mar 2014 09:19:38 +0100

On Sun, 2 Mar 2014 16:07:24 -0600, Raid wrote:
> The 2000F is a camera with short life. It is destined to die on you,

My impression from online statements is that there is a risk of
flakiness. The major common element of the SL35E, the 2000F and the
3003 is the electronic shutter (probably Voigtländer derived?), which,
while elegant, had never really shaken its bugs out properly. It is my
understanding that Rollei Fototechnic lived off a pile of
Singapore-built shutters while continuing the 2000F and then the 3003,
and canned the 135 SLR when that pile was gone. I.e. the shutter never
was substantially improved over the late-70s state.

My personal experience with the 3003, which was my main camera for
fifteen years, includes stickiness of exposure buttons, and film
transport issues. No catastrophic failures, no "die on my hands". On
the other hand, I probably would not have had to send in, say, a Nikon
F3 for service every two or three years. And when Stiftung Warentest,
the German state consumer test institution, ran the top SLRs against
each other in the early eighties (Canon F1, Pentax LX, Nikon F3,
Rolleiflex 2000F, probably some Leica model), the Rolleiflex was the
first to drop out during long-term tests.

> The SL35 is the cameraw ith the second best reliability of all
> Rolleiflex 35mm SLR cameras.

Its appeal is certainly that it is all mechanics, thus fixable, where
the SL35E comes with a history of electronics flakiness, and there are
no solid state replacement parts.

OTOH, in terms of usability, the SL35 falls way short of the SL35E -
open aperture measurement, exposure automatics, the meter
characteristics I described.

hauke

--
Hauke Fath                        <hauke@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>