[rollei_list] Re: Rolleiflex SL 35 E

  • From: Marc James Small <marcsmall@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: rollei_list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 26 Feb 2014 16:30:45 -0500

At 10:53 AM 2/26/2014, CarlosMFreaza wrote:
>My Voigtländer VSL3 E , repaired two years ago in Braunschweig,
>Germany, is working perfectly; I like to use it very much thanks to
>its excellent ergonomics mainly.
>The VSL3 E has a sibling, the Rolleiflex SL 35 E. I could not resist
>an offer in our local eBay and bought a 'flex SL 35E.

I have owned most of these cameeras over the years, Carlos, but the one I have kept for a decade is an SL 35E. It is a grand camera. And Rollei made an M42 adapter (and one for LTM, as well, though that one does not allow infinity focus). The M42 adapter works quite well and opens the universe to such things as the Kilfittt lenses and the CZJ line.

The SL 35E is a grand camera. It has a quite accurate meter and a marvelous lens line.

I would love to own a 2000F or a 3003 but I've never been able to afford one of these. So, I stand back and admire my SL 35E. Pentacon made a comparable camera at the same time in their Bayonet Mount (a reversed Pentax BM, as a prime thumbing of the nose to Zeiss Obercochen), and that is also a fine camera.

I'm still waiting for knowledge that the 2.8 has been sent to me, but, so far, no news. I sent my camera to the other fellow yesterday. It was a Leica IIIf RDST with a a Summarit lens. I fear that I have lost a thousand dollars on the deal. Ah, well, easy come, easy go. I've lost more on more stupid deals over the years.

I agree with Carlos about the virtues of the Rollei 35 family. I took some stunningly sharp shots of the foundations laid by a distant ancestor in 1759 with a basic 35, and I later got a 35S which is my car camera. This is a grand camera.

Marc

msmall@xxxxxxxxxxxx
Cha robh bàs fir gun ghràs fir!