[rollei_list] Re: Rolleiflex MX (Xenar)

  • From: "Richard Knoppow" <dickburk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <rollei_list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 5 Mar 2010 09:11:41 -0800

----- Original Message ----- From: "Jan Decher" <Jan.Decher@xxxxxxx>
To: <rollei_list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Sent: Friday, March 05, 2010 6:28 AM
Subject: [rollei_list] Rolleiflex MX (Xenar)

Bought a Rolleiflex MX No. 1256064 (3.5/75mm Xenar No. 3110891) with instr. book, Rollei ER case and a dead Weston Master II locally yesterday. My first more "vintage" Rolleiflex. What kind of strap is needed for the older style attachment on the MX, if you don't use the leather case?

I was surprised to learn that I can't use my Rolleifix on it and that you have to restrain you impulse to wind the film if you want to use 1/500 second! The WL finder is incredibly dim compared to my Maxwell-enhanced 3.5E. Perhaps cleaning the screen might help somewhat at least around the edges

But this MX seems to functions extremely smoothly. The camera was overhauled a few years ago. Moving parts seem to have less tolerances and moving parts inclusding the shutter seem more "buttery" quiet than in my 3.5E (I have had the same experience with older Leicas compared to my IIIf).

I am running a roll of FP4 through it today and will post results on Flickr this weekend. Will also pick up a Bay I hood from my local camera store.
Can I replace the screen in the MX myself?

Jan

P.S.: Any hopes for "reviving" the Weston Master II meter?

If the Weston is totally unresponsive its probably due to dirty contacts on the photocell. Very often this can be fixed by pushing down on the cell window and twisting back and forth a little. The main fault of selenium cells is that they become non-linear. This can be tested using a light source that will register on both high and low ranges. The reading should be exactly the same on both ranges. If the cell is gone it will read low by about a stop on the low range (i.e. the range where the meter reads up-scale). Bad cells can not be revived but must be replaced. I don't know for certain the mechanisim of the failure but selenium cells are sensitive to both heat and moisture. The strap for the MX is simply a leather strip with a hole in the ends. the strip fits under the loop and the hole hooks onto the spade-shaped hook. Older Compur shutters have an auxilliary booster spring for the highest speed. This spring is tensioned by the speed cam so when you set the shutter for 1/500th you will feel some resistance as you tension it. That is also why there is a long space between 1/250th and 1/500th. The spring is tensioned further when the shutter is cocked. If you try to move the speed adjustment to 1/500th when the shutter is cocked there is a chance the end of the spring will be forced under the speed cam jamming the mechanism. It also puts a lot of force on the edge of the cam. The speed can be released from 1/500th to a slower speed when the shutter is cocked although the also puts more force on the parts than is normal. The finder in the MX may seem dim after using something like a Maxwell screen but its worth cleaning the finder. This can be done by removing the four screws at the corners of the hood. The hood then lifts off so that the ground glass can be removed. With the ground glass out the mirror and rear of the finder lens is exposed. If the mirror is dirty clean it by using a Kimwipe or similar lintless tissue and pure (dry) isopropyl alcohol. Wet the tissue with the alcohol and lay it on the mirror, then drag it off the mirror. Then toss it and use a fresh tissue if the mirror still has some dirt on it. This should clean the mirror without leaving streaks. You can also try "streak free" window cleaner. This is made with butyl alcohol and is recommeded by Hewlett-Packard and others for cleaning scanner windows. I find it works well on lenses. Also clean the back of the finder lens. The ground glass is best cleaned in warm water with a little dishwashing detergent in it. It is surprizing how much a little accumulated grease on a ground glass dims it. The finder is re-assembled by putting the ground glass back on the support springs and replacing the hood. Note: The screws used on many cameras, including Rolleis, have narrower slots than standard screws. Invest in a cheap set of jewelers screw drivers and file down the tips so that they fit. That will avoid damaging the screws. Before investing in an expensive replacement screen check to see if the finder will accept a Rolleigrid. This is a simple Fresnel field lens that drops over the ground glass. I have them in my Rolleis and they brighten up the screen remarkably without interfering with focus. Some time around the mid-1950s Rollei made some changes in the MX. These included a grooved tripod mount designed to take the Rolleifix and panoramic adaptor. At the time Rollei offered new backs for existing cameras with the new bottom on them. At about the same time Rollei began to put internal baffles in the camera so if you have the earlier type of bottom you probably also do not have the baffles. AFAIK, the baffles can not be installed in cameras made without them. I think the sliding pressure plate to accomodate the Rolleikin also dates from this time, earlier cameras do not have it and require the entire back to be changed if a Rolleikin is to be used. I also have an MX with Xenar. Its a very good camera and the lens is quite sharp.

--
Richard Knoppow
Los Angeles, CA, USA