[rollei_list] Rolleiflex MX (Xenar)

  • From: Jan Decher <Jan.Decher@xxxxxxx>
  • To: rollei_list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 5 Mar 2010 09:28:35 -0500

Bought a Rolleiflex MX No. 1256064 (3.5/75mm Xenar No. 3110891) with instr. book, Rollei ER case and a dead Weston Master II locally yesterday. My first more "vintage" Rolleiflex. What kind of strap is needed for the older style attachment on the MX, if you don't use the leather case?

I was surprised to learn that I can't use my Rolleifix on it and that you have to restrain you impulse to wind the film if you want to use 1/500 second! The WL finder is incredibly dim compared to my Maxwell-enhanced 3.5E. Perhaps cleaning the screen might help somewhat at least around the edges

But this MX seems to functions extremely smoothly. The camera was overhauled a few years ago. Moving parts seem to have less tolerances and moving parts inclusding the shutter seem more "buttery" quiet than in my 3.5E (I have had the same experience with older Leicas compared to my IIIf).

I am running a roll of FP4 through it today and will post results on Flickr this weekend. Will also pick up a Bay I hood from my local camera store.
Can I replace the screen in the MX myself?

Jan

P.S.:  Any hopes for "reviving" the Weston Master II meter?