[rollei_list] Re: Rolleiflex MX (Xenar)

  • From: "Richard Knoppow" <dickburk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <rollei_list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 8 Mar 2010 09:56:42 -0800

----- Original Message ----- From: "Jan Decher" <Jan.Decher@xxxxxxx>
To: <rollei_list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Sent: Monday, March 08, 2010 9:01 AM
Subject: [rollei_list] Rolleiflex MX (Xenar)

Hi Everyone,

Thanks for the suggestions on the Rolleiflex MX and Weston Meter. As promised, I ran an Ilford FP4 through it, processed it 8.5 minutes in D76 stock solution, which I had sitting around for the last three weeks. The negatives came out very dense with low contrast (compared to recent Neopan 400 negs) and I had to crank brightness and contrast up quite a bit in PSE.

I uploaded three images to Flickr. Only the last one (donkey) was taken with the new lens hood.

Jericho Red Mill
http://www.flickr.com/photos/mittelformat/4417477100/in/photostream/

Burlington Fire House Gallery
http://www.flickr.com/photos/mittelformat/4417477098/in/photostream/.

Donkey
http://www.flickr.com/photos/mittelformat/4417477090/in/photostream/

I also uploaded a negative version of the donkey image including the frame which shows some "bleeding" around the edge:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/mittelformat/4417477086/in/photostream/

Are these reflections of the chrome runners? I checked and it looks like the pressure plate was in the 24x36mm position. I will run another test with FP4 perhaps processing in Rodinal 1:50 this time(?).

The camera film spacing is perfect. Images appear not quite as sharp as my 3.5E Xenotar results (but see bricks on the Fire House image).

See this older version of the same donkeys taken with the 3.5E and Neopan 400 (click on "all sizes"):
http://www.flickr.com/photos/mittelformat/3380460750/

Jan

Date: Fri, 5 Mar 2010 09:28:35 -0500
Bought a Rolleiflex MX ....
I am running a roll of FP4 through it today and will post results on Flickr this weekend. Will also pick up a Bay I hood from my
local camera store.
Can I replace the screen in the MX myself?
Jan

Something odd here; dense negatives come from overexposure and low contrast from underdevelopment. 8.5 minutes in D-76 full strength should be plenty for FP-4, in fact, its the recommended time for ID-11 @68F. Usually times for D-76 and ID-11 are very close although not identical. The excessive density suggests a shutter problem unless the meter is really in bad shape. If you used any of the classic Weston meters the usual error is for up-scale readings on either range. When the selenium cell is damaged by heat or moisture it will become non-linear so that the readings on the upper part of the meter dial are low by about one stop maximum. I.e., it will cause you to overexpose by a stop. The error is progressive with the intensity of the light on the cell so it can still be pretty accurate for low scale readings but there is no way to compensate for the progressive error. A one stop error will make the negatives somewhat dense but yours sound like they are much denser than this. Over development can also result in dense negatives but they are also excessively contrasty. The Weston meter is easy to test: you need a source constant light than is mid-way between the two ranges. Compare a reading on the upper part of the Low range with one on the lower part of the High range, they should be substantially the same. If the cell has become degraded the reading on the high end of the Low range will be lower than the other. There is no fix for this except replacing the cell. Weston meters can also suffer from bad contact between the cell and its mounting. Often this can be cured by pushing in on the window and twisting it back and forth a bit. That will also usually cure intermittant or unstable readings. To test the shutter you need some sort of calibrated shutter tester. Calumet used to sell a relatively inexpensive one but I don't know if they still do. Its price went up from about $60 US when I bought mine to around $100 US when I last looked it up but that was a few years ago. Its possible to make a shutter tester using the sound card on a computer. I don't have details but a Google search should find the info.

--
Richard Knoppow
Los Angeles, CA, USA