[rollei_list] Re: Rolleiflex MX (Xenar)

  • From: Jan Decher <Jan.Decher@xxxxxxx>
  • To: rollei_list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 9 Mar 2010 10:05:23 -0500

Richard,

I also think overexposure is partially to blame. Although the shutter appears to be working fine. I may have my local camera store test the shutter and also "exercise" the shutter for a bit since this MX has apparently sat around unused for some years (there was still a film in the camera when I bought it).

I didn't use the Weston to meter these images but my little Sekonic Twinmate L-208, which has worked reliable for my other cameras. I did just test the Weston as you described and it looks like it has sprung back to life and registers about the same in the high and low range at mid-value light levels.

I am starting to get interested in meters with better incident capability and just found this interesting website which includes a link to Weston and the current Euromaster meters: http:// www.johndesq.com/

Thanks,
Jan

On Mar 9, 2010, at 1:07 AM, FreeLists Mailing List Manager wrote:
     Something odd here; dense negatives come from
overexposure and low contrast from underdevelopment. 8.5
minutes in D-76 full strength should be plenty for FP-4, in
fact, its the recommended time for ID-11 @68F. Usually times
for D-76 and ID-11 are very close although not identical.
     To test the shutter you need some sort of calibrated
shutter tester. Calumet used to sell a relatively
inexpensive one but I don't know if they still do. Its price
went up from about $60 US when I bought mine to around $100
US when I last looked it up but that was a few years ago.
    Its possible to make a shutter tester using the sound
card on a computer. I don't have details but a Google search
should find the info.
--
Richard Knoppow
Los Angeles, CA, USA