[rollei_list] Re: OT:Walter Voss Diax cameras

  • From: "Richard Knoppow" <dickburk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <rollei_list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 22 Oct 2009 11:17:20 -0700

----- Original Message ----- From: "CarlosMFreaza" <cmfreaza@xxxxxxxxx>
To: <rollei_list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Sent: Wednesday, October 21, 2009 7:42 PM
Subject: [rollei_list] Re: OT:Walter Voss Diax cameras

2009/10/21 Elias Roustom <eroustom@xxxxxxxxxxx>:
I have a very similar Rollei 35 to yours. I've been giving my Rollei 35 a
lot of attention lately.
It adequately meets the needs of a very wide range of 35mm photography.

Thank you Elias.
The only difference is your Rollei 35 has a S-Xenar 3,5/40 lens and
this is  not a difference because it's a Tessar 3,5/40 copy.
I'll never forget the excellent way my Rollei 35 captured several Spaniard-colonial churches inner light working at 1/15 f4 and f3,5 camera handheld when I visited Córdoba city -the second largest city in my country- two years ago, The photographs are in my Flickr gallery and I think several of the members have seen them. Knowing the very difficult conditions to take those photographs, I only can think the
Rollei 35 is an excellent camera.
Some people don't like the 40mm focal length saying it is not "normal" for the 35 mm format and it is not a wide angle lens yet, however it increases the lens DOF regarding a 50mm lens and the images
still don't have the "wide angle" look.

Mostly "normal" means a lens which is equal in focal length to the diagonal of the format. For 35mm that comes out to about 44 mm, but, if you assume that most 35mm images will be cropped to about 1.33:1 format the focal length come out to 40mm! 1.33:1 is the old standard motion picture format and is about an average of common paper formats. I suspect 50mm became "normal" because it may have been easier to design an adeqate lens if the focal length was slightly longer.

--
Richard Knoppow
Los Angeles, CA, USA