[rollei_list] Re: OT:Walter Voss Diax cameras

  • From: "Richard Knoppow" <dickburk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <rollei_list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 23 Oct 2009 16:22:53 -0700

----- Original Message ----- From: "Don Williams" <dwilli10@xxxxxxx>
To: <rollei_list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Sent: Friday, October 23, 2009 1:30 PM
Subject: [rollei_list] Re: OT:Walter Voss Diax cameras

At 10:54 AM 10/23/2009, Mike wrote:
 Richard,

I suspect you were thinking about the Kodak Signet 35 -- it has a 44m Ektar lens, which is an outstanding performer. The camera is a little quirky (max. shutter speed is only 1/300), but a real joy to use...

Mike

In my high school days I used to covet the Kodak 35 but got an Argus C4, which turned out just fine, that is until I got my 2.8C in Hong Kong. I kept the Argus until 2007, in a home-made underwater housing, at which time I just gave it to someone in this group, or
maybe the Exakta group.

I also wanted a Kodak Medalist- Is "Medalist" correct as a Kodak product?

Now I would go for a Rollei 35 as a favored classic camera. I was at a lecture/book signing by David Breshears after he wrote his book about filming Everest in Imax format. He spotted a Rollei 35 in the audience and had the owner bring it up, saying it was a superb camera
for mountain climbing.

DAW

Medalist is correct. Kodak made two versions of it, the Medalist and Medelist II, the latter having a full synch shutter and fully coated lens. The original Medalist lens was coated only on inside surfaces since Kodak was using a very soft coating at that time. The Medalist also appeared in a military version, AFAIK exactly the same as the civilian version. The Medalist takes 620 film. It can be modified to take 120 but the job is reportedly difficult because of some rather thin metal that much be machined. Ken Ruth, of Photography on Bald Mountain does this mod. The lens is one of a series designed by Fred Altman of Kodak. It is a Heliar type but Altman states in his patent that the extra element is used to control rim-rays so as to improve correction at wider openings. Lenses based on the same design were offered by Kodak as Kodak Enlarging Ektars, and as a 105mm lens for small press cameras. There were some others. Altman seems to be among only a few designers to revisit the Heliar. One other was Lionel B. Booth with the Dallmeyer Pentac. The Kodak lens is reputedly excellent but the camera shares with other Kodak cameras rather poor ergonomics. Also, while the rangefinder has a long base the very small focusing window makes it difficult to use. The camera is also nose-heavy but that may actually steady it for some people. It has always bothered me that Kodak did not make cameras of equal quality to their lenses. I think they had the means to do it but for some reason did not. They did make very good view and studio cameras and a good motion picture camera but their still cameras mostly left something to be desired. I do not include the Retina series in this, they were quite good cameras, but it was not a product of Kodak in Rochester.

--
Richard Knoppow
Los Angeles, CA, USA