[rollei_list] Re: OT:Walter Voss Diax cameras

  • From: Don Williams <dwilli10@xxxxxxx>
  • To: rollei_list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 23 Oct 2009 22:09:08 -0500

At 06:22 PM 10/23/2009, Richard wrote, in part:
It has always bothered me that Kodak did not make cameras of equal quality to their lenses. I think they had the means to do it but for some reason did not. They did make very good view and studio cameras and a good motion picture camera but their still cameras mostly left something to be desired. I do not include the Retina series in this, they were quite good cameras, but it was not a product of Kodak in Rochester.

This may be a repeat of things I have posted in the past but I used to have some contracts with Kodak when I worked for Cubic in San Diego. Mostly things like high speed microfiche printers, fiche handling systems, an the sort. I got to be friends with some of the folks there and we exchanged monthly visits for the projects. A couple of things stand out:

I used to bring Pringles chips home before they were introduced to California, or they would bring them when they came.

I remember seeing the first version of their 110 camera assembly line. It was oval and not more than 20' long and 10' across, sort of like a model train layout. It was clear that the 110 camera was an attempt to sell less silver for the same price. I don't remember exactly how it died, I suppose just poor photo quality.

Finally, their winter golf tournament in the snow, using red golf balls.

I did get a couple of chances to walk through "Eastman House", would like that chance again some time.

One more recollection, probably common to the East Coast folks on this list, they had very nice houses and generally had a drain system in the garage to allow them to wash their cars in the winter.

Now that's really off topic so I will stop before getting rapped on the keyboard again.