[rollei_list] Re: OT:Walter Voss Diax cameras

  • From: "Richard Knoppow" <dickburk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <rollei_list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 22 Oct 2009 17:52:57 -0700

----- Original Message ----- From: "Eric Goldstein" <egoldste@xxxxxxxxx>
To: <rollei_list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Sent: Thursday, October 22, 2009 5:24 PM
Subject: [rollei_list] Re: OT:Walter Voss Diax cameras

83 mm is the diagonal for 2-1/4 square.

I also read somewhere in the deep dark past that the f/2.8 lenses for the Rollei TLRs were taken from 75 to 80mm because the slightly longer lenses would be easier to correct as faster optics. It is reasonable to assume that this was the case, as it makes sense from a design POV.

Eric Goldstein

   Exactly what I said:-)
I measured a couple of Rollei negatives (also a Rolleicord IV film gate) and found they were exactly 2-1/4 x 2-1/4 so the calculated diagonal comes out about 81 mm. If you use 6x6 cm it will come out nearly 85 mm but that is not the size of the actual negatives. There are cases where the "nominal" film size is not the actual film size. This is especially the case for sheet film of 4x5 and larger. The film is smaller. I think this may be due to the film being intended for use in plate holders with adaptor sheaths but that would not explain why smaller sizes are the same for nominal and actual. Perhaps its because they came along later in the history of film. I think glass plates are actually the nominal size but have none to measure. The difference is significant, for instance the calculated diagonal of 4x5" is 6.4 inches (about 163 mm) while the actual image diagonal is only about 152 mm.

--
Richard Knoppow
Los Angeles, CA, USA