[rollei_list] Re: MX-EVS Self Timer Sticking...soon after CLA.

  • From: "Richard Knoppow" <dickburk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <rollei_list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 17 Jul 2006 14:15:58 -0700

----- Original Message ----- From: "Jeff Kelley" <thocker@xxxxxxxxxxx>
To: <rollei_list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Sent: Monday, July 17, 2006 11:37 AM
Subject: [rollei_list] MX-EVS Self Timer Sticking...soon after CLA.

I have an MX-EVS with Xenar I bought 6 months ago. It came with a ton of accessories (worth the price alone.)

The slow speeds were sticking and it obviously needed a CLA, so I spent $325 having Krikor Maralian overhaul the thing.
Krikor's site:
http://www.krimarphoto.com/

It came back looking and working great! The self-timer worked fine at that point.

After I put a few rolls through it, to make sure everything was fixed, the camera sat untouched for a couple months.

A couple weeks ago I tried using the self-timer and it was getting stuck part way through the cycle. I can flick the switch and it will continue, however, it may or may not make it to the end of the cycle. Sometimes I have to flick it several times to get it to continue. The shutter still works fine.

I called Krikor and he assured me that letting the camera sit unused for even a few weeks will cause this. He said I should be cyling the self-timer and shutter every one or two weeks.

OK, makes sense, but no matter how many times I cycle the self-timer now, I can't get it to loosen up and work without sticking.

Any of you gurus with knowledge of the innards of the MX-EVS, have an opinion on the above?

Thanks.

- Jeff -

You paid a premium for getting the camera overhauled and the self timer should be working.
The self timer in f/3.5 Rolleis is a mechanism separate from the shutter. It is a clockwork escapement driven by a long helical spring. The spring is large and is designed to stay tensioned for long periods so its not damaged by leaving the mechanism cocked for long periods. I think what happened is that the escapement was not cleaned and re-lubricated properly and has stuck in exactly the same way the slow shutter speeds do. I can tell you that my ancient MX does not have this problem. While I usually trip the self timer when I put the camera away empty I don't excercize it very often and it does not stick. Find out if there is a warrentee period required by law where you are. In California it is 90 days. You may be beyond whatever applies in your case. However, it is still something that should not be happening and I am disturbed that this well reputed repair person is giving you this BS.

---
Richard Knoppow
Los Angeles, CA, USA
dickburk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx