[rollei_list] Re: MX-EVS Self Timer Sticking...soon after CLA.

  • From: "Jeff Kelley" <thocker@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: rollei_list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 17 Jul 2006 14:45:34 -0700

Richard, thanks for the insights.

I'm well past the warranty period.

As I've thought about this today, I recalled my conversation with Krikor when he first got the camera. When I balked at the $325 estimate, he told me it would be like new, was a "collector's item" and that I could sell it for $750 after he fixed it. I've since watched the auctions and that number appears wildly optimistic.

I'm pretty convinced I got less than $325 worth of CLA! And as I said in the previous post, Krikor is not getting my camera back. He did clean it and repair the shutter and focusing to spec, but there is something a wee bit fishy going on with him, I think, since reading some of this list's member's reations.

The 3.5 Xenar does take some great photos, and other than the timer issue, I'm happy with it and Krikor's work.

- Jeff -

You paid a premium for getting the camera overhauled and the self timer should be working.
The self timer in f/3.5 Rolleis is a mechanism separate from the shutter. It is a clockwork escapement driven by a long helical spring. The spring is large and is designed to stay tensioned for long periods so its not damaged by leaving the mechanism cocked for long periods. I think what happened is that the escapement was not cleaned and re-lubricated properly and has stuck in exactly the same way the slow shutter speeds do. I can tell you that my ancient MX does not have this problem. While I usually trip the self timer when I put the camera away empty I don't excercize it very often and it does not stick. Find out if there is a warrentee period required by law where you are. In California it is 90 days. You may be beyond whatever applies in your case. However, it is still something that should not be happening and I am disturbed that this well reputed repair person is giving you this BS.

---
Richard Knoppow
Los Angeles, CA, USA
dickburk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx